Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

I have greatly missed eating cinnamon rolls since my diet changes 8 months ago! It's something I used to make quite frequently and the warm yeasty dough that was ever so light and fluffy covered in buttery, sugary goodness is something think about constantly!
If you haven't noticed from my other posts I L O V E to bake. Quite honestly, I think it may be my favorite thing EVER. And that's saying a lot. I'm thinking the reason I like to bake so much is because I enjoy eating sweets like nobody's business. One thing I've been searching for high and low is a good gluten free, vegan & soy free cinnamon roll. When you research it on the internet, quite a few recipes come up. I've tried them! Each one left me disappointed in some area. Texture, flavor, density, aftertaste.....always something. Of course life would be much easier if I could eat eggs. So I started looking for gluten free dairy free recipes and stumbled across one I thought looked good! I tried it, and boy was it good! Then I had a screaming suffering little baby who reminded me her allergy to eggs is definitely far from better.....so I figured I better modify this recipe to be egg free! It obviously changes things, but the results are still delicious!!!!!!! It's kind of funny because out of all the recipes I tried, this was the least appetizing looking and yet turned out the best tasting! They aren't huge, and they don't necessarily look "pretty" but the texture is exactly what I wanted and they are soooooooo yummy! Enjoy!

Gluten free, Vegan & Soy free Cinnamon Rolls


Ingredients

  • 2 Tb. Earth Balance Dairy free Soy free spread
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/2 c. almond milk, warm 
  • 1 Ener-g egg replacer egg
  • 1/4 c. oil
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 pk (2 1/4 tsp) rapid rise yeast
  • 1/4 c. sorghum flour
  • 1/2 c. millet flour
  • 3/4 c. corn starch
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
Filling
  • 2/3 cup. brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (or more if you want!) 
  • 1/3 c. chopped nuts (optional)
Glaze
  • 3/4 - 1 c. powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • about 1 Tb. coconut coffee creamer or milk
  • 1 Tb. melted coconut oil

Instructions

  1. Using a mixer, combine the Earth Balance spread and sugar. Mix well.
  2. In a separate bowl add the warm almond milk and yeast together along with a sprinkle of sugar. Mix well and let proof until foamy and frothy. 
  3. Add the egg replacer, oil, vanilla, and almond milk/yeast mixture to the Earth Balance spread and sugar mix after yeast is has proofed and mix on low speed for 20 seconds.
  4. Combine the remaining ingredients (yeast through salt) in a separate bowl and add to the wet mixture.
  5. Beat on high about 2 minutes until well mixed with no lumps. The dough will be soft, but should hold together.
  6. Lay out a piece of plastic wrap and tape it to the table. Lay the dough on top and cover it with another piece of plastic wrap.
  7. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a 13 1/2 inch square. Lift the top piece of plastic wrap often and reposition if necessary. 
  8. Combine the filling ingredients. Spread the filling on the dough. 
  9. Roll the dough by lifting up the plastic wrap. Once you get the roll started, it will roll on its own. Once rolled, smooth out the edge.
  10. Using a sharp knife, cut the roll into 8 slices. You can do this by cutting the roll in half, then cut each half in half, then cut the quarters in half.
  11. Place the rolls in greased round dish and put the dish onto a cookie sheet filled with very hot water. Place a towel over the cinnamon rolls (careful not to get it in the water!) and let rise for about an hour. The cinnamon rolls will grow, but they won't get huge. Once risen, Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown and firm in the middle.
  12. Combine the glaze ingredients. Add the coconut milk a teaspoon at a time until the glaze is the right consistency. You can adjust the amount of glaze to your taste and add more coconut milk if needed.
  13. Drizzle the glaze over the warm rolls and serve.


This is the BEST trick ever for things that need to be rolled out. Tape a piece of plastic wrap to your table and putting another piece of plastic wrap over the dough, roll it out! Makes life so much easier!










Use the plastic wrap to actually help roll the dough up! 











No comments:

Post a Comment