Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Quin's 1st Party

I have this dream of being that amazing mom whose children's birthday parties are a fore look of what their wedding will be like. Everywhere you turn on the web there is a blog of some amazing talented mother whose life is picture perfect. Their children never get dirty, their in-laws are angels, they never fight with their husbands, their hair is always so delicately coiffed and makeup flawless. Sigh. This will never be me. I am a real mom. The kind whose kids throw fits, whose house is a mess most of the time, whose laundry piles up and who goes to the store without makeup, hair in ponytail and just prays she doesn't run into someone she knows. That's me. So you won't be surprised when I say that Quin's first birthday party was at a park, we ate hot dogs, and there wasn't a single decoration in sight.

It was actually a really difficult weekend where lot of little everything's seemed to go wrong.
I won't go into details on the insignificant stuff, but one of my old friends from bible college who married another friend of mine passed away just last week of cancer. I haven't seen them in a long time, but my sister and her husband are really close with them. They (along with a few other friends who were invited to Quin's party) attended the memorial service which was at the same time as Quin's party. Of course I in no way would ever be upset they chose a memorial service over a 1 year old's birthday party! If I could have changed the date and gone to the memorial I would have, but it was just all to late. You can never plan for something so terrible. We are continually praying for his family!

Quin was cutting four teeth the day of her party and had a low grade fever. Fussy couldn't begin to describe the state she was in! It was just one of those days. The dog peed on my carpet, Ruby threw a tantrum, Adam was at work. Once we finally got to the park and got everything set up, I felt much better and was able to enjoy hanging out with friends and family. Quin had a lovely time and enjoyed eating her gluten free vegan red velvet cupcake I made for her. Overall, after all the qualms and absent people, it was a nice little party. I don't want to throw another birthday party any time soon :)






















1 comment: