Thursday, September 8, 2011

Diet & Life Changes

I know that I've told bits and pieces on my blog about all of the issues Quin has had with acid reflux and food sensitivities. I've been asked so much about this that I figured I'd expand upon it! It seems like the number of children born with food allergies and sensitivities are increasing by the droves. Kind of makes you think twice about our food, the way it's processed, what's in it and where it's coming from. Honestly, don't even get me started. I could have very loud and frustrated conversations about these issues that drive me crazy. I'll try to stay on point for the moment with Quin & my diet :)
I knew immediately that something was wrong with her after my milk came in. She was the most miserable little baby and I knew it had to be things I was eating that were affecting her so dramatically. Not to be gross, but her spit up was not normal baby spit up, but nasty curdled yellow milky throw-up. I couldn't believe that such a tiny baby could throw-up so much and so frequently! On top of the throwing up, the worst part was her blood curdling screaming that went on for what seemed like forever. When she would spit up, she would make the most horrible faces like the pain was unbearable and sometimes choke so badly I thought she would die. I couldn't handle it! After only a few days I started cutting out dairy which is one of the biggest problems. Slight improvement, still not better though. I then cut out peanuts since I realized I'd been eating quite a bit of peanut butter. Still not the bulk of it. After doing much research and having dear friends help me through their own experiences, I ended up cutting out soy, gluten and eggs. The last to go was eggs since at the time I didn't realize that it was one of the top 5 in allergens. After about two-three solid weeks of EVERYTHING being out of my diet, Quin woke up one sunny Sunday morning by opening her eyes and looking around the room. I was waiting for the piercing screams, but none came. That was the first time she had done that and she was around 7 weeks old. A few nights later Adam and I were sitting on the couch and Quin sat on my legs just hanging out and being happy for over an hour. That was also a first since if she wasn't eating or sleeping, she was crying up to that point. I started to see the fruit of my labor and was so happy that it was making a difference for her. She is now the sweetest little munchkin! Smily, happy and ever so chunky & delicious!! She still has the acid reflux and spits up frequently, but the difference is night and day. Adam and I agree that she is a different child! Since changing her diet, I've tried adding back certain things and that was no bueno. Quin suffered greatly and so did I! Poor baby girl!  I'm now used to my new eating habits and don't really think twice about it. We don't even have a slice of bread in the house! Sometimes my husband keeps milk around for his cereal, but I use almond milk. My older daughter, Ruby, is completely off dairy now, and with all I'm learning we are definitely going to continue on as a gluten free, dairy free, soy free family! I don't even use corn in anything anymore because of all the horrible things I've found out about genetic modification. It's been an eye opening experience to say the least. I've had so much fun learning to bake and cook gluten, dairy & soy free! It's amazing how much better I feel and how our whole family seems to have more energy and less stomach problems! I have always had major stomach issues with acid reflux. Many nights you would find me in the bathroom drinking maalox or pepto bismol out of the bottle. Tomatoes, spicy foods, gluten filled carbs, dairy....it all wrecked me! I've only eaten out a hand full of times since having Quin, and the only thing so far I've eaten that DIDN'T hurt her tummy was In N Out (double meat, protein style completely plain & an order of french fries!) and this other little "healthy" restaurant that had vegan, soy free, gluten free options. We eat at home every meal, and you know what? I don't mind it! Everyone always asks me "What DO you eat?" Well.....lots of meat, preferably salmon & chicken, but we also do a lot of turkey burgers, buffalo meat, ground beef, pork....tons of veggies, salads and fruit. You would be amazed how gooooooddddd you can make things taste, even without dairy products! I can still make a creamy white sauce for pasta, cream of mushroom soup and biscuits with gravy! Comfort food has always been a favorite of mine, and I'm finding new ways to utilize what I DO have to make those delicious meals happen. I guess I've taken it as a sort of challenge! I'm enjoying this newfound freedom from all of these pesky allergens that make me feel awful anyway! Thanks to Quin, she's changed our lives for the better in more than one way!

 "I can do all things through Him who gives me strength!" Philippians 4:13

No comments:

Post a Comment